Your Child's First Dental Visit
We are proud to help families with all of their dental needs here at Fox View Dental of Green Bay. A lot of new parents have many questions about bringing their child to the dentist for the first time, including when their first dentist visit should take place. It may seem surprising, but it is actually recommended that your child first visit the dentist by his or her first birthday. Taking a child to the dentist at such a young age may increase your anxiety about the first dental visit, but today we hope to help you feel more relaxed about this big milestone!
At the first visit, you’ll learn how to care for your child’s teeth and oral health, as well as begin to build a relationship with his or her dentist. Many dental problems, like cavities and tooth decay, can be prevented or easily treated if caught early. Things like your child’s diet, the use of fluoride, or oral habits like thumb-sucking might also be discussed. Also, you want your child to feel comfortable at the dentist, and if their first experience to the dentist involves dental pain or uncomfortable treatments, that image can stick with them for a lifetime.
Tips for Preparing Your Child:
- Before the visit, ask the office what is involved in the first visit so there aren’t any surprises.
- Write down any concerns you may have; what do you want to know?
- Talk to your child about going to the dentist before the visit. You may even take them to the library to check out books about the dentist ahead of time.
- If possible, schedule your own cleaning appointment right before your child’s. They will be a lot less frightened if they see that you’ve just gone through what they are going to go through – and that it’s not so bad.
- Stay calm. Very young children can sense anxiety, especially when it comes from Mom or Dad.
Children's Dentist in De Pere, WI
Children are born with beautiful teeth, and there’s no reason they can’t stay that way. If you’re looking for a family dentist, contact us at Fox View Dental. Green Bay area dentists, Dr. Yenchesky and Dr. Maraka are happy to treat you and your family with all of your dental needs!